Lemon meringue pie is a baked pie usually made with eggs, lemon zest and juice. Making Lemon Meringue Pie is a little time consuming but it’s not difficult, there are three elements to this recipe and you can definitely this ahead of time.
You can buy a ready-made crust and make the lemon curd a week in advance. Don’t let the idea of a meringue keep you from trying this easy and classic pie. Let’s go over with the ingredients.
Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe
For the lemon curd:
1 9in. Pie Crust, store bought or homemade
1 ½ cups Water
1 cup sugar
¼ cup Corn Starch
¼ tsp. salt
Zest of 2 large Lemons
Juice of 2 Large Lemons
2 tbsp. Unsalted Butter
4 egg Yolks, beaten
For the meringue:
4 Egg Whites
6 Tbsp. Confectioner Sugar
¼ tsp. Cream of Tatar
- Preheat your oven to 350°C.
- To make the lemon curd, in a saucepan, combine together the sugar, cornstarch, salt, water, and lemon juice and lemon zest over a medium heat. Bring it to a bubble while whisking the entire time to avoid lumps form.
- Once it comes up to a bubble turn the heat to low and add the butter and whisk until it melts.
- Take a half a cup of the hot sugar mixture and put it into the egg yolks and whisk until it gets them up to temperature.
- Add the egg yolk mixture to the pot with the remaining lemon sugar mixture and cook for another minute with constant whisking until thick. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- To make the meringue, in a large metal bowl beat the egg whites until fluffy and once they are frothy slowly add the confectioner sugar and cream of tartar and continue to whisk until they form stiff peaks.
- Now, all the elements of the Lemon Meringue pie are done its time to put all things together.
- Pour the lemon curd into the prepared baked pie crust and top that with the meringue. Bake it for 12-15 minutes or until it turns to golden brown all over the top.
- Once your Lemon Meringue pie is baked, you have to wait at least 3 hours or completely cooled before slicing or else it will fall apart.