A light confection that we all love. Cook it with your friends or family and surely you will enjoy it with them.
Valentine’s Day is one of my favorite holidays and one of the few things that I love about this holiday is all the desserts, for my part I’m going to share with you how to make my homemade French macarons perfect for a valentine gift. What is the difference between a macaroon and French macaroon?
Well, a macaroon is made with coconut mix with condensed milk while a French macaroon are something a lot different and these cookies are the hardest cookies to make to be honest but worth it. They are very delicious cookies that are crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside. Let’s get started.
French Macarons Recipe
Ingredients For the French Macarons:
¾ cup Almond Flour
1 cup Confectioner Sugar
2 Large Egg Whites
½ tsp. Salt
¼ tsp. Cream of Tartar
3 Tbsp. Sugar
For the Ganache:
4 oz. Semisweet Chocolate Chips
1/3 cup of Heavy Cream
1 tsp. Butter, softened at room temperature
1/8 tsp. Salt
- Line your baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the confectioner sugar and almond flour to avoid any lumps in your mixture. Mix them together and set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat the egg whites, salt and cream of tartar with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks.
- Slowly add the sugar and continue to beat until stiff peak and glossy.
- Using a spatula incorporate the almond flour and confectioner sugar mixture into the egg whites mixture and gently fold them in until mix. Do not worry because the egg whites will deflate a little. Then add in a food coloring that you desire.
- Transfer the batter into a piping bag or in a resalable zip lock bag whichever you prefer. Snip off one of the bottom corner of plastic bag about a ¼ inch opening.
- Pipe little mounds the size of a chocolate kiss on the parchment line baking sheets, about 1 ½ inches apart because they will spread out as they bake.
- Here’s a tip, bang the trays just to release all the excess air. Then let the cookies rest uncovered for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 350°F.
- After 30 minutes, bake the cookies for 20 to 25 minutes or until crisp and the edges are slightly darker. Make sure to rotate the baking sheets half way through the baking time so they will cook evenly.
To make the Ganache:
- In a small pan, heat the cream over medium heat until just below boiling point.
- Pour cream over chocolate chips and let sit for 1 minute. Add the softened butter and whisk the whole thing together until the chocolate has fully melted and let it sit for a few minutes.
- To assemble the macarons, sandwich it together with chocolate ganache between the flat sides of the each cookies.
- Once all are done dust them with powdered sugar.